Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The web is awesome: Shopping for a cell phone

I've been wanting to get a new cell phone for awhile now since mine started having issues. I have not wanted to go stand in line to talk to somebody at the Cingular store. That process is far too time-consuming.

So today I logged onto Cingular's on-line site and clicked on "upgrade phone". That took me to a long list of phones that were available to me at significant discounts. Since I just ordered a new car with Bluetooth, I had it show me only phones that had Bluetooth and then sorted by price.

What I could get from my desk and not in the store was reviews on every phone I was interested in. cnet's site was great. I looked up probably twelve different phones. They had all but one. I ended up purchasing a Samsung D807 for just $50. Check out this link for an example of their excellent reviews.

I was not completely sure of the pricing, so I clicked on the chat link at Cingular's site and was on-line with a real person in just a few seconds. He gave me the info I needed quickly, and I made the order.

Lots of choices, expert reviews, filtering and sorting, all that from the comfort of my desk chair. Slick.

2 comments:

  1. Good points. I've been shopping online almost exclusively for close to 15 years. Sometimes I have to go buy food or something, but for items like cell phones it just makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've upgrade my phones online at least 4-5 times. Always easy access to information and the same or better prices.

    ReplyDelete